Redvanes, I don’t live in AK and have only shot one moose, so take this for what it’s worth. However, I’ve been fortunate to shoot a fair number of animals that take equivalent power as does a moose, to kill reliably, given any reasonable shot. Sounds like your moose hunt is a once in a lifetime experience, so having a rifle chambered for a cartridge that will allow you to take any reasonable shot presented is probably a good idea.

I’m an unabashed rifle loony so have had several rifles in both 300WM and 300RUM. I like both cartridges quite a bit - they’ll both kill a moose if you place a well constructed bullet into the vitals. I shot my moose with a 325WSM with a 200 grain Nosler PT, because it was a new cartridge at the time, in a SS-synthetic rifle, perfect for the AK weather you’ll likely find too. Ballistically, the 325WSM cartridge is identical to the 300WM and WSM.

For a number of years now, however, when I need a rifle in the 300 mag class, my choice is most frequently a SA 300WSM with 180 Nosler Partitions. I am very familiar with the rifle, confident I can shoot it accurately as far as I need. It’s never let me down. The rifle is light - I carry it a lot more on every hunt than I shoot it - something I wouldn’t underestimate. You might consider a similar option.

To answer your original question, if you like it go for a 300 mag - the RUM is probably more than you need and the ammo is expensive and hard to find - practice with it, and enjoy your hunt. SS in a synthetic stock is a great idea. As you already heard, skip the muzzle brake, it’s an unnecessary hassle. If you practice enough, recoil won’t be an issue.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now