Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by REDVANES
All kidding aside, this is not a guided hunt... it’s a DIY drop hunt. I couldn’t give 2 [bleep] what anybody thinks of what rifle I pull out of my case when We land at our campsite. I know my capabilities as a hunter and shooter. I’m pinching pennies, working side jobs and doing everything in my power to make this hunt happen for my father and I. It will be 3-1/2 years of saving and planning the trip for a lifelong dream to come true.

All the more reason to skip buying a new rifle in my opinion. There are a number of things that can improve a moose hunt. A good binocular, top quality rain gear, comfortable/durable boots, a comfortable sleeping pad/bag, hunting partner/s with a strong back all jump to mind. A particular rifle may contribute to your enjoyment, but within broad parameters it isn't the most essential piece of equipment to upgrade. Ultimately you ought to do what you want, but don't confuse what you want with what you need to reliably kill moose...

All I can say is home run.

And since he doesn't care, why is he asking. LOL.

Although I can add, if you REALLY know your capabilities as a hunter and shooter then you know what you need to take and how to use it.

IF I were going on a TROPHY only hunt, I'd likely take the biggest baddest I had. Just so I didhn't have to turn down a tough angle or a longer shot. In the meantime even the biggest bulls I've seen, but have not managed a clean shot at, have not been past 300 yards and generally under 150. Doesn't take much really... other than a clear shot and the right bullet.

Getting the clear shot sometimes takes good optics to pick the hole.

One of the optics things I have said and will say again, if you can't see em, you can't shoot em. I"d rather have top line optics, and a H/R single shot than a fancy bolt gun with a dull scope, and carry a dull set of binocs.

Lastly, if you can't walk, or you are wet and cold, good luck holding that uber mag still enough to make a shot.

All of this from a person that's used everything from about the smallest round you can think of up to 50 bmg on simple deer.....

I was asking about 300 RUM vs 300 WM. Not about 30-06, 270 etc...

I have good optics, so no worries there.

This is a trophy hunt, at least to me it is.