I was about to post that article.

I've been having this "discussion" with CPW people I know and among us hunters in my neck of the woods for 20 years.

Couple things; Technology has made it easier for people to get into elk country, and to stay longer. Beginning with the advent of common 4wd's in the early 70's, to GoreTex, ATV's, to GPS, spots that for decades I rarely, and in a couple places never, saw elk hunters have now been "discovered".

As a high school kid in the early 70's I remember the blackpowder groups showing up at CPW meetings--dressed in buckskins--advocating more blackpowder permits. Their argument was this more about a "lifestyle" than it was with the very limited success with flintlocks and cap & ball muzzleloaders. Then came inline action muzzleloaders, and the technology took off, and the buckskin clad "lifstyle" hunters disappeared, and it was a whole new mindset. Even more so with advent of compound bows that brought lots of rifle hunters into archery, and doubled and tripled the effective range of bows (and yes I have been archery hunting since 1971 and have on occasion blackpowder hunted). If I were God, I would prohibit scopes on centerfire rifles for the 1st and 2nd rifle seasons. Regardless, the number of hunters out there in September has increased exponentially. And so has the number of "lifestyle immigrants" who are mtn biking to mushroom picking (for gawds sake). I have been saying we are at a tipping point with the sheer numbers of people in the Rockies and still enjoy our wildlands.

The article suggests September activities are to blame. The pregnancy rates are good, but are the cows being bred in the second or third estrus cycle? That's what the CPW is trying to find out. Studies in other states have demonstrated calves born after July 1 sustain about a 90% mortality rate. They are easier pickings for predators, and more importantly they do not have the weight to survive winter.

Although it would be tough on our ungulates, every day I continue to send lamentations heavenward, praying for a repeat of the 1970's series of winters. It would change the minds of a LOT of these lifestyle yuppies--including yuppie hunters--about the "great weather and mild winters" we have in the Southern Rockies........

I could go on, but I've got some handloading to do for my son's and my pronghorn hunt in a couple weeks........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.