How can the agriculturalists and ranchers possibly be upset about elk grazing on their property? I have yet to see a private rancher EVER try to scare off the herds of elk that seek refuge on their property during hunting seasons. If the ranchers were even slightly concerned, they'd push the herds back onto public and towards hunters to help lessen the herd that devastates their crop. This year alone, during a period of three partial days we saw over 100 elk on private land bordering public, many of which were big bulls. Most less than a half-mile from public and easily visible from a major road.

I've been hunting elk in CO since '96 and I think the animals have become significantly more weary of hunting seasons. And worse, the hunter population seems to have skyrocketed. Second season is now a $hit show of makeshift tent cities and ATV traffic. Even archery season has lost it's solemn charm. I don't have the answer but I do think, we as hunters are our own worst enemy. We want more game, bigger animals, less people, more natural animal actions, more comfortable camps, and cheaper tags. It's not a doable combination. I don't envy the DOW as I'm sure, like most .gov agencies, politics plays a bigger part than facts for the managing directors. Limiting ATVs might be one step, it would keep hunters more local to their camp and limit joy riders and road hunters. I also think spot checks of animals on private land would help. If ranchers aren't actively trying to move game off their property, they should be restricted somehow in applying for preference/crop damage tags.