Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't know much about 20 gauge, but you can find 7/8 and even 3/4oz low velocity loads for 12, probably similar for 20.
If one shops carefully, Ithaca 37, Beretta, some single shots, and loads right, you can get a nice light 12.
What results is a gun that weighs just a bit more than a garden variety 20.
Add 20ga level loads, and you get a gun that absorbs the recoil, isn't too heavy, and probably patterns better.
Put turkeys on the list, and look at the numbers, then forget all the bullshit.
A normal 1 1/4 oz 12 load, matches a 3" MAGNUM 20. With less recoil, and noise.
They are not available in the premium Turkey style. But very good loads are available.
I don't know where you're getting that a "normal 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge load" kicks less than a 3" 20 unless you're shooting the 12's out of a significantly heavier gun ? The standard 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge loads here are the high brass 3 3/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps. The 3" 20's are 1 1/4 oz at 1185 fps. No way the 12's kick less unless you're comparing the 12 gauge to a significantly lighter 20 gauge gun. Heck, even the 3 1/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. low brass 12 gauge loads would kick slighly more than the 3" 20's in equal weight guns.

Compare the weight of 12 vs 20 gauge guns.

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

And if they are only used for shooting a turkey,
They won't really notice.

Plus,
I reload.

You are the first person to mention that the 12 load is bigger.

Most argue, "the twenty is a MAGNUM."
I just happen to have 12 and 20 gauge pumps that are almost exactly the same weight. A Browning BPS 20 gauge and Ithaca 37 deluxe 12 gauge. The BPS 20 with 3" mags. is noticeably milder than the 12 gauge 37 with high brass loads.