Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Sitka Deer,
My oldest shows no signs of being recoil shy so far, he's shot my full size model 11 several dozen times at Clay's ( broken a dozen or so too!!) I noticed the single shot's comb being pretty low upon initial inspection. When I give it to him at Christmas we'll adjust length of pull for him and consider some type of cheek piece if necessary. I'm also looking into lighter loads for Clay's and small game.

Since we're discussing "first guns", my younger two at 4 and 3 will receive miniature wooden dummy shotguns at Christmas when big brother gets his 20 gauge. I plan on letting them carry their "guns" afield with us when they go to begin learning the way to handle and carry a firearm.

Every kid is different and I am guilty of getting them to shoot very early. It is easy to screw them up. Limiting number of times they get to shoot per session and making sure you do not shoot stuff that hurts for a long time is important. It only takes a mistake or two to turn a kid off.

I've carried my boys to the range and the woods with me most of their lives, my oldest had a few years of watching and learning before I let him shoot at the range at all. Now he's limited to 15-20 Clay's with my 20 gauge each trip and still only spectating in the field. Though I have let him carry my gun slung and empty back to the truck a few times. The younger two "help" by operating the trap remote at the clay range, picking up empties and carrying birds/ squirrels. Around 5 or so I may let them shoot at the range a time or two. I definitely agree on limiting their shooting, for several reasons.