I’m currently working with two Whelens, both Remington 700’s. My default powder after working with another 700 Classic has been H-4895. One of my current rifles is a 700 from the Custom shop that I bought used a couple of years ago. It may not be necessary but to ensure a good shoulder/head space, I take new cases and expand them to .363, then .375. I then anneal them with Mule Deer’s technique. I then size them in a 35 Whelen die to the point where the cases will chamber with somewhat stiff resistance.

My 700 Custom has a 24” barrel and with H-4895, the Speer gives 2540 fps but is more accurate at 2500 fps. The Nosler 250 Partition is maybe 25 fps faster. Both of these bullets have given several four shot groups of 3/4” or less. The best load all around load I think, is with the 225 A/bond and H4895 at 2720 fps although I tested loads ip to 2750 fps. More than once 4 shot groups have been just over half an inch. Hard to beat with that much power and trajectory. These are all loads on the Nosler manual.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.