I know this has been dormant for a year but I am hoping y'all can help me out. I'm wanting to use Alliant pro power varmint powder for 200 grain Accubond bullets in 35 whelen. I've looked at noslers data and even made some imr 8208 xbr loads that were pretty good. I just really want to try pro power varmint. It is at the top of the velocity for 180gr and 220 so it seems like it would be for 200 also. I think speer has caught on to something before everyone else when it comes to 35 whelen and pro power varmint. Hopefully other manufacturers will test this powder with their bullets and update their load data.
I think I could safely take the maximum load for a bullet that is 20 grain heavier and start there with load development. I'm essentially asking if other people have done something similar and if so are my assumptions safe.
I know that bullet construction differs and that that effects pressure but all I can go from is speer bullets hot core (cup and core) type load data. Their 180gr max is 70gr of pro power varmint at over 3100fps (I loaded this and this velocity is legit) and 220gr max is 63.8gr. Theoretically a 200gr bullet max would be 66.9gr of powder. I am considering starting at 64gr-64.9gr and was wondering if someone who has done something similar would weigh in.
Thanks

Last edited by 18whlsrolin; 02/28/19.