[Linked Image]

In this old 1881 map you can see the Old Camp Reno in the top right. The road from Tempe, which was the hub of what is now the valley including Phoenix, Mesa ect, Hayden's ferry on the Salt river... I was born a couple miles from Hayden's ferry on the other side of the river.

Anyway, the road from Ft McDowell to Camp Reno went through Sunflower, which is still there and an old mercury mine, we used to picnic there on Sycamore creek when I was a kid, and exploring an old mine shaft found a wooden box with blasting caps, Dad took them and being an engineer did something with them I can't remember. Though back then him and his hunting buddy also an engineer could get dynamite, Ray his buddy was an avid hunter and when he killed his mountain lion it went under a rock boulder to die and they had to dynamite it out.

That road is impassable now, I tried it on a quad 20 years ago, it goes over a steep mountain, I don't know how they used wagons to get supplies over from Ft McDowell, but that was the reason the camp didn't last long. Once the Apaches found out the camp was deserted they burned it down.

Kent