Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

For those who say that they can disengage the safety as fast as the above-mentioned practice. Try doing it while someone is shooting at you. It does make a difference.

Ed

No, it does not. Being shot at is nothing but an emotional response. Using the safety is nothing but a habitual action. Someone that believes it takes longer to flip the safety than it does to bring the rifle up to aim at a target does not have the skill level to be talking about either.

Gunhandling is not about what happens when we are present and in the moment. It is for when we are thinking of everything else besides the gun. If you are ever going to use the safety, use it every time that you are not aimed at a target, finger on trigger. Cheek comes off of the stock- finger straight, safety on. You left out slightly lowering the muzzle, giving a full view to better assess the situation.

As to how much time it takes to flip the safety vs. raising the rifle to acquire the target, you are absolutely right. The same as finger off the trigger until you have identified the threat, made the decision to engage, and have acquired a sight picture..
It is also a function of training to the point of unconscious competence.
That level of competence only comes with thousands of repetitions, and having learned how to get past the emotional response. For the most part, most of the people here do not have that level of experience.
I also know that almost anyone can learn how to do it.

I do have the skill level brought on by experience to talk about it. If you care to PM me, I'll be glad to share my background.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell