Over the last 50 years I've done a lot of back-pack hunting, as far as 20 miles or a bit more, back in. Often packing 100 lb loads out. Never used trekking poles, tho I've been known to pick up a stick or two if I don't have a staff.

I've used the crap out of hiking staffs tho. I cut them from straight birch saplings, to my height, with a fork on top, which I then pad a bit for shooting. I like them to fit my hand at grasping level, and about 1 1/2 inch all the way down, so some shaving is generally required on the lower end. They are inexpensive, and something to do while on stand.

They are useful at body height for level ground shooting, or down hill shooting. Gotta kick the bottom out considerable for up-hill shooting. Most useful for packing heavy loads, especially on rough ground.

There are probably 20-30 of mine scattered around Alaska by this time...... smile. I don't go back for them if I forget one, tho I've been known to go in with one and come out with two in places I frequent.

Trekking poles or staff makes a big difference in rough ground, heavy pack or not, and help with balance packing load even on good trail.

I must be getting better......the current one is going on 10 years old. Well, maybe not- 8 of those were off ATV or snowmachine, mostly.

Last edited by las; 12/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.