Trekking poles reduce strain, pain and swelling in my knees when packing a load downhill, especially on a trail when I can stride out. They make a BIG difference for me. I use them constantly, up, down or sidehill.

I have some older Lekki's, and like them for hiking. For hunting, I prefer a wooden single stick, about head high length as someone else recommended (Las?). It is quieter than metal or synthetic when I inevitably bump things, is infinitely adjustable to terrain slopes, and it does not matter if I forget and leave it somewhere. In recent years I've used one pole for most shots on game. I often just pick up a suitable pole or two, and discard as the day progresses and my need for a pole changes. I have two in the garage now that have braced me for several animals and are begging me to keep them and make them real “gear.”

In the Pacific North West, wild hazelnut/filberts produce excellent hiking poles that are straight, the right diameter and lightweight once dried. White oak from the South is also good but heavy.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/10/18. Reason: brevity