Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bwinters
Based on my experience with180 SGK this year - I wouldn't use them. I shot 5 animals this year - 4 deer, 1 elk. Not an exit, even on broadside deer. Running these 2630 from my 308. I'm in search of a new hunting bullet for my 308...............

I'm not starting a fight or calling anyone a liar. I just can't reconcile this with my experience with even lighter Sierras on deer, particularly the .308" 150 Game King.

Feel free to believe whatever you choose. At least you were polite in doubting my post which I do appreciate.

Maybe there is some validity to my conversation with the Sierra rep about my experiences this year. He stated I should go to a lighter GK and push it faster. I doubted that because it doesn't seem likely - and doesn't line up with my experiences with cup and core bullets. This also seems to line up with some of the other posters doubting my statements on the 180 GK. I'm fairly certain what I observed.

I also load for my nephew and he shoots 180 Sierra Prohunter over 57 gr IMR 4350 for about 2800 ft/sec in his 06. He did achieve exits on 2 deer this year. I still dont understand how running a lighter cup and core bullet faster results in more penetration. It seems counter intuitive.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.