The "professional" viewpoint is useless to me. A couple years ago I heard a commotion out by the garage and I went out to investigate, flashlight in hand and handgun out of sight. I went around a corner and find a police officer waiting for me - unbeknownst to me the neighbor had called them. He might have been the coolest professional on earth, but I wouldn't have wanted to round that corner with a gun in my hand.

This summer an electrical transformer blew and the neighborhood lights went out. Again, I went out with a flashlight in hand and a handgun out of sight. My hope was to see if I could spot which transformer went out - my hope was that would speed up the repair after I called in. I came back around to the street side and a cruiser lit me up with a spotlight.

Similarly, my flashlight has found dogs, cats, neighbors, daughters, daughter's boyfriends, sons, etc. The animals and kids are not a problem, but any of the neighbors could give me legal grief if I brandished a gun.

Bluedreaux's advice it have a weapon light AND a separate flashlight is legitimate, but since I have to wait for the threat to be visible and real before I show a gun the scenario will likely be over before the weapon light is any value.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost