Since my last thread about winching out elk went colosseum style Fire fighting. Thought I would check in on the latest and greatest meat hauler you badasses are using to pack your animals out.

I have several, but my main hauler is a 25 year old pack frame I bought from Cabela’s. This pack has carried untold thousands of pounds of deer and elk. It’s been an excellent frame that provided me a balanced load with adequate weight distribution and good tie offs to secure the meat. A google search found my frame being sold at Walmart for $55 bucks. 25 years ago, I paid $99.99 on sale.

[Linked Image]

Last elk season I tried a different hauler that I hoped would work as a dual purpose gear pack and meat hauler. I wanted a pack I could load day hunt essentials and when I knocked an elk down, I could get a load of meat out on my first trip. Then come back on the next trip to the kill site with my older Cabela’s pack frame.

The Alps Outdoorz HybridX would have worked, except I couldn’t get it to fit me properly. After wearing for two initial scouting trips hiking in 6 miles each trip. I couldn’t escape the pain across the top of both my shoulders. Piercing pain that left me sore the day after wearing it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This last picture shows the steep “bend” in the top straps that ride on the top of my traps. I’m hoping they’ll change their memory in time to fit me. If not this pack will be up for sale after antelope season.

Let’s hear about the types of pack frames and hybrid packs you all are using to get it done and what you like or hate about them. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”