Goats are definitely cheaper. For the seven I bought last year, they varied from $35 to $175 initial purchase price. Of course I have a lot more than that in them now. I think I was spending $8 a day bottle feeding and am around $200 per month in hay and grain at 10 months old. I don't have any significant pasture and will cut the grain down further by hunting season. Started at 6-9 pounds each and 4 of the 7 are over 150 right now (maybe even 160ish), 1 isn't far back, 1 has never really caught up to the others after a rough birth (one of quads and his three brothers died at birth) and is only 120 or so. I'll get real weights this March at the vets instead of using heart girth tape measurements. Also, spent about $600 on a livestock hauling rack for the back of my truck. Makes it super easy to load them up and head up into some neighboring BLM for weekly hikes. Several will load themselves when they know it's time. Also am in close to a grand on packs for the goats, and those are just their starter packs. Still need some tarp shelters and lines for camp, but will figure that out this summer.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter