[s][/s] Folks up this way call them ''Sii'' (See), the french Iconnu , and the German spelling 'Shee' and then into English ''She", I guess its too close to ''Sea Fish"....its funny how phonically Inupiaq was translated to German (The first explorer in the region was a Dane in Russian service) and then ,again, into English.
I dont know the Yup'ik name for them. They are all around the Arctic and sub Arctic

Oily when full of eggs and headed up river for spawning, sorta dry when they come down.
People have a hard time with the softenss and oils when drying the fish headed up river, springtime but the one that are returning after spawning, to the sea are good to dry, no oils to go rancid, no soft flaky meats.

The winter has them fat again, the eggs small and not very oily, just sweet firm and great to fry, bake or chowder

I eat them with out salt, I like the sweetness. Salting make them bland.

The fight is short and sweet with ice jigging, as the line is often less than 20 feet or so.

Last edited by Caribou; 01/29/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick