Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Buddy of mine just called me from a wall Mart store and they have Ruger 10-22 for $220. Does wall Mart sell inferior rifles? I can't see any manufacturer making a substanard anything just for one retailer?

Firearms manufacturers used to make so-called "House Brand" products for large retailers, most of which were basically the same as those that were cataloged and sold under the manufacturer's own name, but were usually less expensive due to differences in the finish, the type of wood used, and the sights.

I own or have owned house brand rifles and shotgun that were made by High Standard, Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, and Winchester for Coast-To-Coast Hardware, Gamble-Aldens, J.C. Penney, Montgomery Wards, Sears, W.T. Grant, and Western Auto.

I currently have a J.C. Penney house brand Marlin 336, their Model 3040, a Sears house brand Winchester 190, their Model 3-T, and a Wards house brand Mossberg 500, their Model M550CR.

Firearms manufacturers make non-cataloged configurations of their cataloged firearms for large retailers and wholesalers. Some manufacturers, Marlin and Savage come to mind, had what amounted to internal house brands. Marlin had the Glenfield brand and Savage had the Stevens, Springfield, and Westpoint brands. Remington and Ruger make multiple runs of non-cataloged configuration firearms every year. Ruger makes limited runs of non-cataloged firearms for Lipsey's that, because they are non-cataloged configurations and made in small number, become instantly collectible. Lipsey's stainless Number 1s and 77 RSIs are probably the most well known.

Wal-Mart regularly does odd things with their firearms. Recently, they sold off their inventory of Weatherby Vanguard rifles for as little as $250, about a 50% mark down. Back in 2007, they marked down and sold off their inventory of Remington 700 ADLs for as little as $275. They have done the same with some Rugers and Savages and probably other brands too. Like most retailers, Wal-Mart doesn't like to carry over large inventories of seasonal products, so they have regular purges, "fire sales", to move their remaining inventory. Around Omaha, they are currently selling their inventory of black powder rifles and associated products at reduced prices and do so every year, starting around mid-January.