Originally Posted by SuperCub
If it's gonna be a 700 long action, why not go with a 6.5/06?

I did a 6.5 on a Model 70 long action... I didn't want the finicky-ness of 6.5 x 55 brass
so I went with necking up a 257 Roberts case, or necking down a 7 x 57 case, to have the
.473 bolt face.

its the same concept that the Creedmoor is getting all the hype about, just with a longer
case on a long action...

figured if it didn't give the velocity I was expecting, with long match bullets, I could rechamber to
the 6.5/06 or the 6.5 x 284 fairly easily.. or even based on a 270 case or 280, or 280AI case.

got to compare it when done, over the chronograph with a friends 6.5/06, an AI version also,
and a 6.5 x 284.

The 6.5 x 57 gave me the same velocity, with bullets seated out, as the above cartridges did, running about 10 grains less powder. right up thru 142 gr match bullets....

interesting side note, the owner of the 6.5/06 and the AI version, also found out that the AI version of his was slower in max velocity than the regualr 6.5/06.... both built by the same builder, on Ruger Long Action Model 77s... he built the AI only because an Action came his way cheap with a shot out chamber...

I also have a 260 Rem VLS, I had the throat on that barrel reamed out to take a cartridge, the length of when I experimented with a 260 on a long action 700. It works just fine, I just single shot it...its a use off the bench rifle anyway.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez