smokepole,

Once in a great while my wife and I go on vacation to a city, where we can sample good restaurants and do some touristing. Often, though, we combine it with work. A good example took place 2007. I had been invited to test some Heym rifles on a "cull" hunt on the estate of the last British earl in Ireland, and Eileen had just read in one of the cooking magazines she's subscribes to that Cork was one of the new centers of European cuisine, because of then-booming Irish economy. Cork is Ireland's major seaport from Europe, and so many people had moved there from other countries that fine restaurants of all sorts had sprung up. So she got permission to accompany me if we paid for her plane ticket, and we spent several days in Cork eating and touristing, which was great. Among other places, it turned out one of the highest-rated Spanish tapas restaurants anywhere was across the street from our hotel. Spent most of an afternoon there, sampling food and wine. And it turned out Heym was also eager to have her field-test one of their rifles, so she did!

These days we don't travel long-distance nearly as much, having pretty much had our fill of airports and the other hassles. But we do take off now and then to do the same sort of eating/touristing somewhere close enough to drive to.

Other than that, we do both work pretty hard, Eileen at writing game cookbooks and running our website. I usually write a couple hours in the mornings, then do other "work" stuff for the rest of the day, whether shooting, handloading, taking photos, or whatever. Our local rod and gun club, where we're life members, has a great range that includes everything from shotgun sports to a 1000-yard rifle range with dozens of gongs. Oh, and we both hunt pretty hard during the work-week at the right time of year. (We try to take weekends off, like other people.) Over the years we've taken antelope, mule and whitetailed deer, elk, black bears, moose and bighorn sheep less than an hour's drive from our house; this year Eileen got her deer within 5 minutes our our front door, while I got mine 10 minutes away. Also have eight of the 10 Montana upland birds nearby, and a big river and reservoir for waterfowling.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck