Back in those days 40 footers might have been the big ones. Every once in a blue moon a 40 would come in the yard it was like a dream. When I started shifting trailers in the yard we were still running lots of 28 foot pups. The rule was 2 pups then a 53, 2 pups, 53. When I retired 3 years ago we had almost completely quit using pups, so the 53's were lined up side by side. About once a week an out of center driver would rip a rear swing door off trying to get his load out. Hate 53's. Had a private contractor with a long haul double sleeper ask/tell me to park a 53 in the yard for him. I told him to use one of the drive through spots and I'd get it later. He got pissy and said there was legislation to go to 57's, what was I going to do then! I said sit on my fat arse at home watching soap operas and collecting my Union pension. He climbed back in his half a million dollar rig and went looking for his outbound load. If he hadn't acted like a jerk I would have got his outbound load and staged it for him where he could have pulled straight through the phones and left. If those private guys acted like jerks we would let sit till our shift was over. We weren't supposed to help them. But, we felt sorry for them risking tearing up a beautiful tractor in a yard that was too small to handle them.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin