Another thing I've noticed when I take eastern guys elk hunting the first time - they tend to wear way too many clothes on the hike in. In the east, we normally only hike a short distance to a treestand, climb in, and sit all day. Elk hunting in the west usually starts with a 2-4 mile hike. You'll be way over heated and sweating peofusely if you have too many clothes on. When that happens, you really need a wicking layer next to your skin to move the sweat away from your skin. If not, you'll be cold and clammy. For this very reason, I moved away from merino wool next to my skin and use all synthetic. I wore merino alot for 4-5 years and couldn't figure out why I got cold and felt clammy most of the day. The merino doesnt move sweat away from my skin faster than I create it. Plus merino takes longer to dry than a good synthetic. Once I switched to all synthetic, I wasnt cold as much and not clammy at all. Look up John Barklow and watch his dynamic rewarming drill video. I buy into the theory. It works for me. Start out hiking cold, you'll warm quick and arrive much less sweaty.

Last edited by bwinters; 02/19/19.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.