I'm not up on all the technical gear like most here, I have a buddy on here that I ask about clothes all the time. And I'm a slow adapter. But I do kill elk every year in Wyoming in December at pretty high elevations. I've done it when it's below zero and when its 45 degrees.

Been using merino as a base for a long time. Then wool surplus officer dress pants. I just recently got the wrangler fleece lined pants but haven't used them yet. I did use the unlined wrangler outdoor pants this fall and they are great. Tops are merino, lightweight syn. puffy and then in my mind at least a pretty huge non hunting brand down puffy with hood. I don't want one without a hood. I was happily surprised by how wind proof the Brooks range puffy is. I think it weighs 17oz. But I still carry my marmot precip for windy days pants and jacket. The jacket is sized big so as to not compress the puffy. It probably isn't going to rain and while my country isn't windy by Wyoming standards we still get some wind and I like the rain gear as a lightweight hard shell wind stopper.

I admit that my clothes are partially because of budget. Also, I'm not a backpack hunter, but like you I suspect, the guys on here really know clothes so I do like to come here. Doesn't sound like your upcoming hunt is a overnight backpack deal either.

Probably spent more on my merino than anything else.

surplus wool pants under 20, wrangler fleece lined outdoor 25, precip around 60 each from STP, Brooks range puffy bought on sale in late winter 80. My lighter weight syn puffy I think was around 60 on sale. I think my smartwool merinos are around 100 each.

I would like to try the FL areowool this year.

Obviously all the FL, Sitka, Kuiu works. I haven't tried any of it mostly because of budget and what I have works so well. Maybe I never should try that stuff, probably works so well I'd cry that I didn't try it before. Don't be afraid to try non hunting brands.

The clothing piece that baffles me a little right now is the skin tight hoodie deals that I see all the guys wearing on the hunting shows. I haven't figured out yet how I need one of those.