Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm one that believes a guy can buy and use whatever he desires as long as it's legal. Based on what is seen nowadays, as well as the pics a guy can see on various forums, in a hunting situation, seems like most people are over-scoped, and over-rifled.

Not judging others gear/choices....but I sat next to a guy at a local range years ago, he had 2 custom Jarrrett built 300J's with 3K plus optics aboard. He shot MOA or so groups and hunted in the South for deer. I commented, nice rifles, you must get some long shots. He replied, yeah, shot one at about 285 yards.

Meanwhile I reflected on dropping deer with the rifle I was using. A 6BR on a Ruger No.1, Kepplinger trigger (cost about 1k when built) with a $300 B&L scope, which I had shot groups sub-half inch....once at 330 yds, and taken deer at 400. I smiled at his comment........he enjoyed his gear, and I enjoyed mine. I did not enjoy the blast out of the braked rifles he was using............

Many ways to skin a cat they say. On Dangerous Game, shoot enough gun....that you can shoot well, using good bullets and placement. On non-dangerous game when not in DG territory........many folks could enjoy less blast and recoil. Perhaps something many 6.5 Creedmoor fans came to realize which helped it grow, on top of the accuracy and ammo prices.

It's just what you want to do....and how you want to do it. My choices follow my experience.......other's choices might include other rationale.

There are many tools for a job, no doubt the '06 and 300 WM get much play, especially in NA for the one gun hunter. I've yet to NEED more than modest 6-7mm's for the bulk of what I do, but once enjoyed a 338-06.....but have shot 338 WM, 375, and 416 RM at paper. All great rounds, for their intended purposes.

So to answer enough...it's Subjective....and in some cases "it depends"