Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by Journeyman
This is always a great discussion topic. Found several great makers from these discussions over the years. Funny thing, when I look back to the last one I participated in on here it's sad how many of my favorites from back then have either died, retired, gone broke, or gone off the deep end...

The constants though are Gene and Phil. Can't say the good things as well as others have said about Gene above, but wish to add a big "plus one". I probably have more of his, and have given more as gifts, than any other maker, and the performance to effort, (ie sharpening/care/etc.) are the reason. Plus he's always a pleasure to deal with.

Phil's also a super guy. His knives though, are not for the casual user as said above, but they ARE the pinnacle in performance.

"Double Whammer" set from Phil. Sorry mine aren't very pretty anymore...it ain't the years it's the miles...

[Linked Image]

Meadows semi skinner on the bottom?

L,

It's actually smaller than the Meadows. I had one of those in hand for a while in 10V that I sent on down the line because it was too big. I asked Phil for something smaller to more closely pair with the B&T. Actual correspondence from him says "I put you down for a semi skinner, full tang, rounded butt handle, proportional to the Sprig."

It's 4-1/4" handle plus 3-1/2" blade including finger choil. If I recall you have/had a Sprig so imagine that with thicker micarta handles vs the rounded G10.

Funny, this got rolling when I got hold of him, after you told me he had a batch of B&T's in the works. I wanted to get one for my nephew for graduation but all he had left was a 4-1/2" bladed one in Elmax. Easy pass all around, so I told him I'd just gift one of mine, which is what the kid wanted anyway, even though I had a couple of big hunts coming up, and asked him to put me on his list for a replacement. But...Phil got back with me in a couple of days, said he'd really been thinking about the situation and wanted to make the semi for me to use and test and had it to me 3 weeks before I left.

Like I said above - SUPER guy!

Last edited by Journeyman; 03/01/19.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...