I am a little late to the thread however.........

Having never hunted in South Africa anything I write about it is only opinion.

I have hunted in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, and the Republic of Congo.

For a first time plains game the Republic of Congo is definitely out and Tanzania is very expensive these day.

Coutada Nine in Mozambique is probably one of the most game rich concessions anywhere. Beautiful camp and 500,000 or so acres make it an unbelievable experience. Somebody will kill a 60" kudu there soon. The downside is it is a little more difficult to get to and depending where you fly, the flight will be more expensive. For me it is worth the cost and effort. Contact Mokore Safaris. The Duckworth family members are among the finest people I know.

In Zimbabwe there are multiple choices. My favorite would be to fly in to Vic Falls, overnight at Vic Falls Hotel for some nostalgia or Vic Falls Safari Lodge for something nicer. Spend a two or three days in Hwange at a place like Nehimba and then charter over to Sengwa Research Center. This is also operated by Mokore Safaris. Great plains game with some monster eland and waterbuck.

The great thing about both of the hunting camps I have mentioned is you will see elephant, lion, buffalo on your hunts. Neither area is fenced,

Honorable mention would be Andrew Baldry's Royal Kafue in Zambia. Beautiful camp on the Kafue River, lots of game including lion, buffalo, and elephant. This is a place you could kill a very big sable and roan on the same hunt.