I don't have a favorite drive, but I do love finding alternative roads away from the interstate in parts of the country I've never driven before. One trip I had a couple of days to get there so I drove a little convertible from New Orleans to St. Louis - passing thru Vicksburg and a bunch of little towns along the way. I'll find a mom-n-pop burger stand , a farmers markets, maybe an old holdover five and dime or a state park. You never know when you'll come up on a curvy road that goes around a lake or a gorge.

I can stretch out a drive.

I have to drive to Detroit 7 or 8 times a year for work. I've stopped taking the interstate, now I pass thru little towns that haven't been ravaged by Wal-Mart. They still have a town square and some areas so rural the road I'm on just has a letter - D route or something like it. I call it windmill country because they have all these giant windmills scattered across the flat land.

Sometimes I'll hit craigslist for cities along the way and see if there is a bargain to be had on something I need as well.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings