I could never understand what would posses a man to take a deer caliber, and push that bullet at varmint rifle speeds like a RUM and similar calibers. In large game, the bullets upset like a varmint bullet, often with shallow wounds.

Frequently, these guided chaps empty the 3-round rifle, relying on the guide to finish the job. May as well bring a 30-06 before a bear-induced epileptic seizure kicks in as you pull the trigger, when you realize this bear is not behind a fence at the zoo, but in my back yard. That way there, holding 4-5 rounds, you'll get a lucky shot.

I could also never understand why a guy steps up in caliber, but goes light for caliber in bullet weight? Boat tails, plastic tips, pressure relief grooves, fancy coatings like moly, lrx this, ttsx that. By gully are things changing at a pace I can't keep up with. Why are scope and bullet preferences always so monkeyed-up with desire for the long shot?

Are guys afraid of a plain, true-to-caliber, 300 grain, flat base spitzer? I've sent two of these through a moose and a caribou at 500 yds and 400 yds. Up close, or far away, clean kills, deep penetration, lots of blood, no blood-shot meat.

Go with your 375 H&H. It probably came with open sights for back-up, as opposed to your 100 yd, western-pronghorn-1000 yd-300 rum-pipe-dream-dealio.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/04/19.