Originally Posted by william_iorg
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't imagine leaving the Partition for something else, but I guess playing is part of the game.

There is a lot to think about when considering bullets for the .307 Winchester.
When seating depth matches powder burn rate you arrive at maximum pressure just as you run out of case capacity.
Some bullets have a dimension better suited to the .307 case than others. This is a crumby drawing but here goes. The Nosler 170 grain Partition is a rather long bullet but is under size. The base diameter is .306” as is the diameter at the cannalure. Above the cannalure the bullet is .304”
With a new barrel this smaller diameter ahead of the cannalure is an advantage as the throat is short.
Crimping these undersize bullets can be a challenge even with the Lee Factory crimp die.
The 150 grain Nosler E Tip is a far easier bullet to work with as while the E Tip is longer than the Partition its diameter at the base is .307” and it is .308” up above the cannalure. The E Tip is an easy bullet to compress powder and still crimp.

[Linked Image]

Ok, but the OP speciffically stated 'replace the 170 Nosler', hence the reason I didn't mention 457 other bullets in my comparison to the 190.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"