Originally Posted by Steelhead
[/quote]

Ok, but the OP speciffically stated 'replace the 170 Nosler', hence the reason I didn't mention 457 other bullets in my comparison to the 190.

You misunderstand my intent. I only wanted to show show the OP how long these bullets are. Pictures illustrate the length issues better than numbers. With the reduced COL on the .307 the longer bullets give you trouble seating over compressed powder charges.

The 190 grain Barnes original is 0.109” longer than the Nosler Partition. These bullets are intended for the .30-30 Winchester and they begin to taper rapidly above their intended crimping point. This causes problems seating bullets over a compressed powder charge and then trying to crimp – either during seating or as a separate step.
The balance between seating depth, compressed powder charges and powder type requires a bit of thought. The ball powders do not compress very much. While ball powders are not bulky Hodgdon 414 is slightly bulkier than Winchester 748/BLc2.

All I was trying to say is long bullets will give the handloader a challenge when trying to achieve high velocity. 2,225 fps or better should be easily achievable with the 190 grain bullet in the .307 Winchester. Doing it with ammunition that is easy to load and feeds smoothly may prove to be a challenge.

Slim