The regs may have changed and it also depends on the counter person in South Africa, but as I recall I was limited to 11 or 11.5 pounds for the ammo and locked container. Some people say it is 11 pounds of ammo alone. I may be totally wrong on that number, but there is a weight. There is a round limit, but you will never hit that limit with the weight restriction. Also you can only have ammunition for the rifle or rifles you are taking in. You can not bring ammo with you to use in the PH loaner gun.

We landed in JoBerg and there was a huge line at customs from a flight from Australia. We had very little time to spare when we got through customs. I went to the SAPs to do the gun paperwork and my son took the luggage to the ticket counter for the flight to Port Elizabeth. He was supposed to pull the locked, separate container from my bag and hand to the clerk. The clerk just grabbed our bags and threw them on the conveyor without letting my son remove the ammo. When we got to Port Elizabeth my bag was covered in large X's made from yellow tape with wrtitng in Afrikaner. The PH said that they had detected my ammunition in the bag and had confiscated it. For whatever reason they left it in my bag.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member