Originally Posted by Bighorn
yukonal,

I have been thru the Joburg airport, on the way to other destinations, several times now, the last in this past August. I was on the way to Capetown via Joburg the last two trips.

I packed my ammo in an MTM Survivor Dry box, with a TSA lock, and my name, address, etc. inked on the outside of the box.
This box went inside my checked luggage, and I declared it with the check-in folks in Denver.

On the return, I boarded a flight (SAA) in Capetown, headed for Joburg, and then on to the USA. In Capetown, both times, I was asked to remove the ammo box from my checked luggage, and check it as a separate item.
Upon landing in Joburg, I picked it up, along with my rifle, and put it back in my checked luggage for the trip to the USA. I was not asked to remove the ammo, or have it checked, again. Went thru customs in Dulles airport, then on to Denver.

In all likelihood, your ammo will travel inside your checked luggage, and only if you are asked to do so will you need to remove it and have it checked as a separate item. I know for a fact that this will occur if you are travelling from Capetown, SA, to Johannesburg.

Thanks Bighorn. Kinda like what I've been reading. Just been told to not even put it in with another bag. I'll talk to my PH about it, and see what he has to say.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...