Even with our new Saturday opener, enlightening to some and a pox to others, baiting with corn is illegal in Pa. unless you plant it first. wink

I place corn on the edge of the yard for Deer in the winter. They come to it most often at night, because Deer for centuries most often feed at night. Full moon nights are often not the best for daylight hunting, right? Wonder why. Deer are for the most part nocturnal feeders. Always have been, but some act like that is something new. Why do we spotlight at night? Answer: Deer are up and moving.

Bad part of baiting is it often keeps the hunters from being up and moving. However, the tree stand phenomenon has pretty much killed that anyway.

Yet there are times the yard Deer come to the corn during the day also. Especially when it is really cold.

Other thing I’ve noticed is Deer don’t like to eat the same thing all the time. Sometimes they prefer corn, others apples, others just plain grass, others tree buds or nuts. Just because one has a pile of corn out doesn’t mean they are going to rush to it.

If I was into baiting, I would prefer salt over apples or corn everyday of the season.

Last edited by battue; 04/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler