Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Everyone already baits in AL, so no change in the process, only in the legalization.

Everyone? Supplemental feeding is allowed but the feeder has to be out of the line of sight of the hunter. It(Baiting or Supplemental) is not allowed on the property we hunt nor surrounding properties. In fact I have hunted several large properties in a 20 year period there and never saw either.

Well, not really everyone, just lots of folks. You are absolutely correct here, feed out of the line of sight. As you know from hunting there, lots of folks will take any advantage to get deer on their property vs over on the neighbors, so they definitely do feed on their owned property and leases, along with planting food plots. I think from what I’ve seen hunting there, many will hunt over corn similar to what is done in TX if this gets passed if allowed.

Currently in MS, they are trying hard to ban supplemental feeding due to CWD they have identified in a few animals, which their game and fish dept. believes could be more rapidly spread by feeding. I imagine that AL might follow suit if they confirm CWD there as well (which we were advised by Mr Green Jeans to be prepared for). I hunt each year for the last 20 or so in Western Alabama, and prior to that about 30 miles west of there in Eastern MS. Personally I would much rather out in WY like I’ve done for about 20 years as well, but any hunting opportunity is a good hunting opportunity, especially living in South Florida like I do. I really do appreciate stand hunting, if done right, like you described above (woods in the am, green fields in the pm), and the green fields really do let you see and appreciate deer behavior for hours at a time. There is something to be said for that for sure.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 04/15/19.