Ive killed several whitetail with both...both worked great! My father has used the 8x57 to take Red Stag in Germany, Russian Boar in Turkey, and couple deer here in the U.S. as well. Worked great there too.

The 8x57 was the first cartridge i ever reloaded for. Probably a more common story than many realize...i inherited a sporterized WW2 bring back and couldn't get full power ammo at sporting goods stores, when i could find ammo at all. The Remington green box stuff at the time was loaded to 30-30 velocity.

I started rolling my own...then got a chronograph...etc etc. The rest is history lol. I even had a couple of the Remington classics in that caliber when they were blowing them out due to poor sales. Nice guns but they never shot particularly well.

Its a great round and one of the classics. Im not a fan of 8mm bullets though as they really dont make a lot of great ones. The 150s have pretty crummy specs, the 200s have nasty recoil and the ole war horse struggles to get them over 2500 fps in my experience. Nosler data makes some outrageous claim of like 2700fps IIRC but they must of been on drugs that day because it cant be done in my experience.

While it can certainly hold its own in the game fields and has since 1888...id never chose one for the above reasons.

The 06 is THE world standard...along with the 308. Nothing else needs to be said there.

Last edited by Quak; 04/15/19.

GOD Bless America