Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Quak
Id also note that within normal hunting ranges...say within 300 yards the 8x57 is very capable...but a 30 cal is better in all regards.

Since "better" is defined by the person making the judgement, what is your definition of "better" in this specific case.

Simple...shoots better bullets faster for the same recoil. Components are easier and cheaper to get...there are options for quality components in the 1st place. Factory ammo can be had...quality factory ammo exits...factory rifles exist. Need more?

You had to know the answers before you asked i assume...

If not for war relics the 8x57 would cease to exist imho. It hasn’t even been common in Africa for the past 50 years in talking with the white Africans I know.

In Europe I seriously doubt if it’s even top 10 anymore

I think that there are at least a few comparable component bullets, I particularly like the 0.323" 200 grain AB.

The data on the Hodgdon site shows comparable velocities with 200 grain bullets, but with a small advantage to the 30-06 with a longer test barrel.

I know that there are many more component bullet options in 0.308" than in 0.323" and that component cases are easier to find in 30-06 than in 8x57, as is factory ammo. There is European-made factory ammo that is equal in quality to any 30-06 ammo that I've seen, but it is unlikely to be found on many dealers shelves.

I suspect that some European firearms manufacturers still chamber the 8x57, Zastava cataloged their Model 70 the last time that I looked.

I have a few rifles chambered in 30-06 and 8x57, some of which I load for, and think that they are pretty close performance wise if all of the variables are close to being equal.

That said, I agree that the 30-06 is an easier and more practical choice for North American.