If you read carefully, you'll notice I say bedding methods often at the whim of the one doing the bedding. The MK V is an action which is a little different with the screw going into the bottom of the lug. It is often best to bed lugs like this at the bottom since that is where the screw tension is. The rest of the receiver is not all that rigid and how it is bedded probably doesn't matter a whole lot but I generally bedded the whole thing. I still like clearance at the sides and front of the lug for two reasons. First; it was easier to remove and re[lace. Second; the sharp edges of the lug could shave bedding material when you put the thing together and this debris could keep the lug from bottoming out. I'll confess also that I usually bedded some of the barrel shank on them . There was no clearance required at the tang because it just sat on top of the stock anyway. Sako rifles actions were another which had the lug right at the front with the screw going into the lug and they were treated much like the front of the Weatherby. The sako needed clearance at the tang though or the stock would chip or split behind the tang.
Who knows why Winchester chose to go with two-piece bottom metal and the third screw? bedded in the wood, that third screw can't do much more than hold up the front of the trigger guard; just like the one on the Ruger 77. Still, it's there and I kind of like to use it. I feel like it adds to the integrity of the bedding system although, as I have demonstrated, it probably doesn't make any difference.
'Stick, I think what makes your missives such great reading is your command of the English language. Do you photoshop those fish? GD