My own choice, not particularly precision oriented, is the Steyr labeled - Action: Straight-Pull, Olympic Style (Made by ISSC) - Cub Scout, currently available from CDNN in .22 rimfire, 22 mag and 17 HMR.

A straight pull toggle bolt like the Browning T Bolt or one of the Russian biathlon rifles. 20 inch threaded barrel and 10 shot magazine. Extra magazines at about $20.

Not yet fired and I have no idea about handling beyond knowing that it is light and handy and no idea at all about accuracy. Rail for a forward mount scope and Weaver style bases for a receiver mount scope. First time to the range I plan to use a lever type quick detachable Leupold forward mount scope off my Steyr Scout in .308.

Mostly because at CDNN it's half the price of a heavier wood stocked bolt action and because I do have a Steyr Scout and Dragoon and like those very much so an understudy is welcome.

If somebody else were paying then sure Anschutz or Cooper or another fine rifle would be nicer and much appreciated as a gift.