Kevinj: I own both models of heavy barrel Rugers Rifles in 17 HMR.
I absolutely LOVE them both!
Like Seafire, I bought the first 17 HMR Rifle I saw in Montana - it is the stainless finish (not matte gray!) heavy barrel Ruger 77/17 V/T.
It has shot wonderfully well from day one (back in early 2,003!).
The other Ruger heavy barrel model I have and love is the Ruger American Varmint (in 17 HMR).
I have had this Rifle for over 2 seasons now and it is a handy, accurate and very reliable small game and Varmint Rifle.
I won't venture a guess as to which of these is the most accurate as I seldom shoot them at the range - once sighted in and trajectories verified, they have been dedicated as Varmint and small game guns.
The Ruger 77/17 V/T with Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring .502" back in May of 2,003!
That IS outstanding accuracy (Remington ammo).
My Ruger American Varmint in 17 HMR also has a Weaver V-16 on it and it is a pleasure to shoot in every respect.
The shorter heavy barrel (18") and the significant savings over a Ruger 77/17 V/T is the ONLY reason I would recommend the Ruger American Varmint over the Ruger 77/17 VT.
I have other guns in 17 HMR but the Ruger rotary, flush fitting magazine and correct American style safeties (as opposed the the bassackwards CZ's) are the main reasons I won't critique any of them for you.
Go with the Ruger American Varmint or the Ruger 77/17 V/T.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy