I just joined the forum and am an avid Airgunner.
I also shoot Rimfire, Centerfire and Scattergun.
I literally can not believe what I just read in this thread.... So many untruths.

I have Pumpers, Springers, Co2 ...even a few PCP. (hover ~ 30 or so)
NONE are as loud as my .22LR. Some have suppressors or shrouds that is totally legal.... and the loudest thing is the trigger until the pellet hits the backstop.

If your thinking of going to Walmart and seeing a $50 air rifle, but it's too much for a "BB Gun"... they are probably not for you.
Sure it may be able to group fairly well, about like an out of the box, bottom of the line 10/22... but just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

I have a HW98 break-barrel springer that I will match accuracy with any gun out to 50 yards.
I have a 40 year old FWB-300s side lever that will stand up to anything that old at the 10M game. Including an Anshutz. The FWB was THE Olympic gun in the late 70's early 80's
I have a Air Arms S400-SL carbine PCP that will take a wood-chuck at 75 yards because I can surgically hit it in the fusebox between the eye and the ear.

If I want to shoot past 100 yards or hit a goose in flight, I grab one of my powder burners .

Sometimes I just want to shoot, and shoot well.
I can come home after work, grab one and a tin of pellets, walk out my back door and shoot all night long at the bench for about $5.

We don't take friends camping... we MAKE friends camping!