Yes they can, just as long as its allowed in your city.
Airguns are a lot quiter than a .22 rimmie, but can also be very loud. It just depends on what type of power plant the gun is. The quietest is probably a Co2 that's suppressed. Followed by a PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) that's also suppressed. Than a pumper that also suppressed. Springers/gas rams would be the loudest, being that most of the noise comes from the action and not so much from the muzzle. But side by side, a airgun is way quieter than a .22 rimfire, hands down.

Most, if not all good quality airguns can make kills within 50 yards. But like all types of shooting, shot placement is the key to a fast humane kills.
This was done at 100 yards by my gas rammed .177 Weihrauch, a German air rifle. [Linked Image] There are lots of powder shooters that shoot air rifles to stay in practice, hunt small game, and to keep pests in check around the house. Air guns aren't just for plinking. These guns can be very serious shooters and AREN'T toys.

Take a look at demo 7 & 10 to see the differences between them.
http://www.arld1.com/

I'm a powder shooter myself and have been a avid air gunner for the past 10 years now. Considering what Obama and his cohorts are trying to do to our 2nd Amendment, I can still get trigger time with my airguns, and yes, believe it or not, practicing with an airgun can help with powder shooting.

S.W.A.G. it