Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I don't have backup guns.

Neither do I. All of my rifles get taken into the field, some more than others. Factors such as woods vs fields, weather, and just how I'm feeling that day play a part in which one goes with me.

However, because I'm always tinkering with new loads, having a tried and true box of ammo sometimes is the limiting factor.....

GunLoony88, Same here for us (wife and I), we don’t carry a back-up firearm..... as we each, have “only one” hunting rifle. We always hunt together, so we could use the other’s rifle if the need arises! wink memtb

Memtb - I think you misunderstood - I almost always carry an extra rifle to camp, sometimes more than one! What I meant was that I don't really have a "primary" hunting rifle. All of mine are "primary", its just that many factors play a part into which ones go with me on a hunt (as I stated above). None of them are classified as a "backup".

My wife doesn't hunt with me, but my 2 daughters do, and each of them have a "primary" rifle, mainly because my dad built them each a great rifle. Both are Mausers, one is a VZ-24 in 6.5x55 and one is a 1909 Argentine in 257 Bob. You ought to see the boys faces when they ask if either of them hunt, then they tell them what they hunt with! Most have no clue :-)

GunLoony88, I was just “mess’n “ with you! You being a “GunLoony”, and us being “one gun hunters”....I couldn’t resist! We are the “anomaly” in the hunting/shooting world!

Those sound like nice rifles, practical calibers, and built by your Dad.....it just get better than that! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024