Mr Redgwell,

A fine how do you do to you today. I hope you're well and that your Canadian brethren and sistren are not too upset that there are no Canuckian teams left in the chase for Mr Stanley's prize. Such a shame and surprise, but such is the world of sticks and pucks.

Interesting in that you posited the question of "bench warmers", as I have an out of state hunt coming up in October. I've been in a quandary since receiving the news I had drawn the tag. I have several suitable rifles for taking a cow elk, but which ones do I want to bring with me? When I'm fortunate to have a hunt "out the back door", I'm of the grab one and go class. That would include traditional bow, caplock rifle, or all original surplus military units.

So, what I'm thinking, and this was partially influenced by someone asking about our friend John's 9.3x62 loads recently, is that it's likely to be:

The CZ 9.3 for the main rig, as I have a load that was graciously provided to me by the 'fire member who sold me the rifle (Thanks again BSA, it will likely get out after game again, after such a long unplanned pause). Shots where I'll be hunting will likely be less than 250 yards or so, with suitable terrain for stalking closer.

Backup(s) will likely be:

Sig SHR970 with the 6.5x55 barrel installed, and perhaps I bring along the 30-06 barrel (add to your total Steve wink ) for backup to the back up. There are Leupold QD bases/rings installed and each barrel has a scope dedicated so in the event of damaged scope or barrel, I'll be good to go.

Ruger #1 in .303 Brit. It'll be easy enough for me to bring this along with the SHR as my brother lives near the unit I'll be hunting and I can leave the backups in his care while I'm out at camp. Summer will hopefully provide me with time to experiment more with JB's .303 loads for the #1 he wrote about a few years back.

.50 cal "Hawken" , just because I like to get close? Mmmmn, that could be fun, seeing as how I've been within BP range while archery hunting in that unit, under an archery tag, with traditional equipment. That extra 20-30 yards between the 25 I allow myself for bow shots vs those for the smokepole are a huge difference. I've experienced the same on a pronghorn archery hunt, sure wished it was a muzzleloader tag!

55lb Stickbow?? Depends on how much practice I get this summer. I intend to put in for deer around my place, and if lucky I can just walk out the back yard and start hunting here. The backup for that bow is a 45lb version of the same bow.

It's likely the full battle equipped Swedish Mauser, (sans bayonet, of course ) 1918 version will stay home. It hasn't been hunted in years, and likely won't make an out of state trip this year. If I get my stuff together, I have a Remington M700 in '06 that needs scoped and shot in. Although I got a recall notice from Remington that the new trigger they installed a few years back is a liability too, so I may end up looking for a Timney or such before using it.

So many options...............................it's fun living in Rifle Loony land, eh?

I hope spring has sprung there. Here in my part of sunny warm California, we're still dealing with freezing temps, snow on the last day of April, and then we get days over 70F.

I enjoy your posts, thanks. Good hunting when the time comes, too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?