Originally Posted by szihn
When I hunt for myself I never carry a back-up to camp, but I always do when I take others out. It's come in very handy 5 times too.

. . .

As to my personal viewpoint, I was a US Marine and also I did work for the DOD for some years, and did independent military training for several jobs and in every one of those times I never had a "back-up" rifle. In that kind of work, the stakes of what you're gambling are much higher then what you'd loose on a deer hunt if your weapon fails you. For myself I have a tendency to choose rifles that have very low rates of failure for my personal collection.

. . .

Any rifle that I think is likely to need a "back-up" is a rifle I'd sell off or trade off very quickly.

One tip that I like to follow myself is simply to have a new Weaver K4 scope in the box, packed in the gear. In my years of hunting and guiding I have found that scope failures are far more common then gun failures,and if the hunter has some extra ammo to re-zero, having a "one-size-fits-all scope" along is a hunt saver. Swapping out their scope for a K4 takes minutes only ,and the times I have done that made a hero out of me in the eyes of the hunters, especially those that came from many states away to have a dream hunt.

At the end of those hunts I remove the scope if they don't want to keep it and if the do want to keep it, (most have) they simply pay me the cost of it's replacement, and I order another one the day I get back.

This is a great post by someone who knows what's up and has given it some real thought, or at least listened to what experience was telling him.
I'd be interested to hear what your "low rates of failure" rifle choices are.
For such a well thought out plan, I'm a little surprised you trust a NIB Weaver K4 as opposed to a "tested" Weaver K4.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"