szihn, you must hunt out your back door.

When I travel 100s or 1,000s of miles to hunt, I take a second rifle. This was a lesson learned when I was younger, as mentioned above. That hunt also taught me to triple check everything that I was taking. Two rifles go with me for every hunt, and when I go to moose camp, I usually take a rimfire and a 20 ga. to fill the stew pot.

I was an armourer, both in and out of uniform for 34 yrs. What is instilled into you is the need for preparation, and what to do when the wheels fall off. The military has a supply chain, and people to repair equipment that breaks. Hunting trips do not have a supply chain or people that repair equipment that breaks. While it is nice that you have used your trng, a civilian hunt is vastly different from being in an operational theatre.

These two pictures are from a hunt several years ago. The first two days were cloudless and sunny. Then it started snowing, and it didn't stop for several days. Even though it rarely snows much where we go for moose, I made sure to bring extra gas and propane, tucked into the bed of my pickup - just in case. As a result, the six of us stayed warm and ate well. One individual on that hunt dropped his rifle and damaged the scope. It was because of the snow. He slipped and his rifle fell on a rock. Lucky for him that I had a 30-06 - a backup - so that he could continue the hunt. Lucky for me too. I got 100 lb of meat as a gift, when he filled his tag.

Three moose went home with us. It would only have been two had Jim been forced to stay in camp.

[Linked Image]...[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]