jmd025,

One of the most interesting bolt-action "blow-ups" I've heard about occurred with a Mark V. I didn't personally witness it, but heard about it during the year I lived in Lander, Wyoming (home of the well-known One-Shot Antelope Hunt) in the 1970's.

One of the members of the Wyoming team that year was a well-known Wyoming politician who wasn't a very sophisticated rifleman. He was shooting a Weatherby Mark V, apparently borrowed, chambered in .270 Weatherby Magnum--but somehow ended up with .270 Winchester ammo. During sight-in the first .270 Winchester round fired, and of course split wide-open. The Mark V is pretty good at gas-control, however, and while gas got inside the bolt body, it was diverted into the magazine by the three ports on the underside of the bolt. The floorplate blew open, and there was some splintering of the stock as well, but the shooter was pretty much unscathed.

Probably should also note that Otteson gives the Mark V a very high rating in gas-handling, and explains why in detail.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck