MD,
I suppose, if one had a rough chamber, extraction could be difficult, If there was an error in manufacturing, angles could be off and opening could be difficult. The action was designed with, I believe, 2 degrees of angle on the locking surface, with the face being vertical. If this is right, the breechblock moves away from the case as it drops down. If this angle did not exist, the breech block could drag. Mind you, Martin Hagn makes his actions with vertical movement and a vertical face and I've not heard of any issues. Still, I like the idea of the angled surface.
Back to the bolt actions, it has often been said, in recent years, if one used a Sako extractor in his 700 or 40X, he was signing his own death warrant; especially if he shoots left handed. I've been risking my life like this since 1982 and have gotten away with it. Those who have blown a primer in a Sako may have had the extractor jump ship but it is contained in the receiver ring by the gas block/ rib. In a 700, the extractor is free to take flight but I think this is fairly unlikely if the barrel counterbore is fitted reasonably closely. I have considered fitting a savage-like baffle or a Sako-type rib but have not felt compelled to do so. When I built a bolt for a 40X receiver I had, I built it with a separate bolt head and could have incorporated the baffle but didn't. Just lazy, I guess. GD