I like wool but it seems the weather is never cold enough anymore during deer season to wear it where I hunt. I don’t miss cotton long underwear or wool that itches. The new synthetics and Gore-Tex are much better than the fabrics they replaced. I got to grow up when Connecticut wasn’t a communist enclave and real craftsmen and artists were employed at Winchester, Marlin and Remington . I know this because I knew those men. A close family friend was Art Burns who helped design the .444, and I could have purchased his personal .444 before he passed away but foolishly declined. When a model 12 or 336 Marlin needed attention we knew people (club members) who could repair them. They are mostly gone now and those that are left are pretty old.

We hunted stocked pheasants but you would put up an occasional partridge or woodcock to make it interesting. Those places are gone, turned into subdivisions and strip malls. We even had kids bringing firearms to school on the rifle team and shotguns were routinely kept in our trunks for duck hunting after school. Felonies today.

Last edited by Mike_S; 05/06/19.