Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Hookset
I'm always amazed when folks want to give the government the power to ban someone else's dog breed. Two things generally happen when you give government folks power:
1. They screw it up (who decides what's a pitbull and what isn't? What about a pit/lab mix? What about other breeds that kinda sorta look like pits? What if the knucklehead bureaucrat in charge thinks your dog look like a pit?)
2.They grow their power. Pitbulls today, Rotts, Dobermanns, German Shepherds tomorrow. Then it's hunting dogs (because hunting is evil). Then it's all pet dogs (because owning animals is immoral).
Every problem doesn't require legislation to solve. More often than not, the legislation just creates new problems.

Well then, how about the power for us to take them out on sight?

If we want to pass a law, it makes more sense to me to make it illegal to charge someone for killing a threatening dog if it's out of the control or off the property of the owner. It also make sense to me to charge the owner if a dog injures or kills a person or another person's dog or livestock. Too many people are irresponsible with their dogs (and cats) regardless of breed.
Don't tell me what I can and can't own, whether it's an animal or a gun or a car or whatever. But if I'm irresponsible with it and it hurts another's person or property, charge me with a crime and make the penalty strong enough to be a deterrent. Trying to make a breed of dog illegal is the same concept as banning "assault weapons" and bump stocks.
One man's opinion.

Last edited by Hookset; 05/09/19.