Originally Posted by CraigC
Originally Posted by jwp475
Will a solid copper 300gr .500 penetrate as well as a solid copper 300gr .44? No. Would an aluminum bullet penetrate as well as solid copper? No. Mass and momentum are still factors. Mass relative to diameter is still important. Therefore so is the number that represents mass relative to diameter, which is sectional density. Not a whole lot of analytical thinking going on here.

Will a 500L 525 grain WLN penetrate farther than a 450 Punch Bullet? If not then SD is BS. I can assure that it will not. SD does not take into account for bullet construction, nose shape or meplat size all of which effects penetration.

You guys are mixing way too many variables and making conclusions based on too little information.

First and foremost, the fact that a lighter monolithic outpenetrates a heavier cast does not "destroy" the SD "argument". All it means is that weight moves down the totem pole in favor of a bullet that does not deform.

Second, SD is not an all-encompassing belief system. It's not an argument. Or a measure of lethality. It is simply the bullet's weight relative to its diameter. It is a singular factor among many. I don't know why people are in such a hurry to dismiss it.

We have tons of cast bullets in various weights, so it is easy to determine that heavier bullets of a comparable shape/hardness/toughness will penetrate deeper than lighter ones. However, there are far too few monolithics to be able to even properly compare them and determine what role SD plays.

I would just about bet the farm that a 300gr .500 wouldn't come close to a 300gr .44 in penetration. I've seen this first hand with the additional drag a .45 bullet has over a .44 at a given weight. It will be interesting to find out.

You guys don't think thee's a reason why these bullets are as long as a heavy cast? If weight relative to diameter was not a factor at all, they'd be making these bullets a lot lighter, that could be driven a lot faster. But they are not.

Here's the 270gr Punch, 300gr Punch, 300gr Barnes Buster compared to 330gr LFN and 355gr WLN. If weight doesn't matter, why are they so long???

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jwp475
Will a solid copper 300gr .500 penetrate as well as a solid copper 300gr .44? No. Would an aluminum bullet penetrate as well as solid copper? No. Mass and momentum are still factors. Mass relative to diameter is still important. Therefore so is the number that represents mass relative to diameter, which is sectional density. Not a whole lot of analytical thinking going on here.

Will a 500L 525 grain WLN penetrate farther than a 450 Punch Bullet? If not then SD is BS. I can assure that it will not. SD does not take into account for bullet construction, nose shape or meplat size all of which effects penetration.

You guys are mixing way too many variables and making conclusions based on too little information.

First and foremost, the fact that a lighter monolithic outpenetrates a heavier cast does not "destroy" the SD "argument". All it means is that weight moves down the totem pole in favor of a bullet that does not deform.

Second, SD is not an all-encompassing belief system. It's not an argument. Or a measure of lethality. It is simply the bullet's weight relative to its diameter. It is a singular factor among many. I don't know why people are in such a hurry to dismiss it.

We have tons of cast bullets in various weights, so it is easy to determine that heavier bullets of a comparable shape/hardness/toughness will penetrate deeper than lighter ones. However, there are far too few monolithics to be able to even properly compare them and determine what role SD plays.

I would just about bet the farm that a 300gr .500 wouldn't come close to a 300gr .44 in penetration. I've seen this first hand with the additional drag a .45 bullet has over a .44 at a given weight. It will be interesting to find out.

You guys don't think thee's a reason why these bullets are as long as a heavy cast? If weight relative to diameter was not a factor at all, they'd be making these bullets a lot lighter, that could be driven a lot faster. But they are not.

Here's the 270gr Punch, 300gr Punch, 300gr Barnes Buster compared to 330gr LFN and 355gr WLN. If weight doesn't matter, why are they so long???

[Linked Image]

In there you said the large resistance you see bw a 44 and 45 colt. That resistance is what does damage. So you are saying the 45 doesnt penetrate as far due to it doing alot more damage than the 44? Correct. Secondly i am positive i can a 500 300 grain further than a 300 gr 44 mag just due to the massive velocity difference.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion